The Port of Kemi was founded by a regulation from the Russian emperor Alexander II, together with the founding words of the city of Kemi were announced in March 5, 1869. At first, Port of Kemi was founded in the city center of Kemi, where the inner harbor now lays. At the same time, the city of Kemi was also give the rights of staple town, that meant the city was given the right to perform overseas trade.
This regulation by Alexander II gave the city the right to collect tree charges (also known as merchant charges), property tax, port, bridge and load charges as well as port and weigh house taxes. The staple town rights stated that the city “must be equipped with a customhouse in which a bonded warehouse, a weigh house and a storage warehouse are included”. This meant that already back then, the city was obligated to build the infrastructure which is the foundation for today’s port operations. This privileged right was cancelled as late as 1.1.1995.
The picture is taken in the port of Ajos in 1951. Source: City of Kemi